Friday, October 16, 2020

Week of October 19th

 Hello Everyone!

What a week. I really miss your kids and cannot wait to be physically back in the classroom.

As you know, I am out until the 26th. I cannot tell you all enough how proud I am of your children and how thankful I am to be their teacher. I have received some incredible reports back from the staff members that have been covering for me during this time. 

Having classmates, teachers, and others in the school in and out so frequently can be really tough on the kids and I applaud them for how well they are handling it. This year has not been easy and they are truly handling it like champs! They are really trying to make the most of their fourth grade year and I love that I get to be apart of that!

I am still teaching while I am out. I log into our classroom's Google Meet link and am projected on the board to teach each subject. Of course, there is always a staff member in the room to supervise in person. The other staff have been really great at helping the students (and me!) as we adjust to this new way of learning for the time being. We began individual virtual conferences this week as well. I created a schedule that hangs in the classroom and lets the children know what day and time they will meet with me virtually to check in and conference on the work they are doing. The individual conferences have become my absolute favorite part of the day while working from home. I love being able to check in with how they are doing in general as well as academically and they love to catch me up on all that is going on while I am out. 😊

THANK YOU for all that you are doing at home to support your child during these times!

Please check in with your child and see if they have working headphones. It has been tricky to meet with students individually and to quietly conference with them if they do not have headphones that work. If your child does not have working headphones, I would please ask for you to send some to school with them if possible.

Daily Health Screening: Please see this link for daily health screening. Parents should go through each of these questions with their child before the start of each school day.

Upcoming Events

Dress up days for KASD Homecoming Week!

October 19: Pajama Day

October 20: Wear Purple Day

October 21: Crazy Sock Day

October 22: Hat Day or Crazy Hair Day

October 23: District School Spirit Day (Wear Kaukauna Gear)

October 26: (Red Ribbon Week) Teaming Up Against Drugs is No Sweat! - Wear Your Favorite Sweats and/or Team Apparel! 

October 27: (Red Ribbon Week) CHECK Yourself for Healthy Habits - Wear a flannel, plaid, or checkered clothing 

October 28: (Red Ribbon Week) Be United Against Drugs - Wear Red

October 29: No School

October 30: No School

November 3: Red, White, and Blue Day

November 11: Picture Retake Day

Curriculum Update:

Reading: Students began reading their nonfiction books this week! We've learned the importance of making connections with our books as well as all the components of a nonfiction book. Students were also assigned new reading partners and groups this week.

Writing: Students brought in their collections for our new opinion writing unit! We will begin this new unit on Monday by sharing our collections and writing our opinions on them!

Math: This past week we made it our classroom goal to master multiplying by 4, 5, and 6. Next week we will work towards mastering multiplying by 7 and 8. Many students shared that multiplying by 7 and 8 was tricky for them - we will work on this! We will begin next week by learning the various ways to multiply and students will identify which way is easiest for them! 

Content: We are a few days into our Energy unit. We will take a week to get our feet wet - then students will choose a "sub-topic" of Energy that they will want to study more. This sub-topic with guide their research project for the rest of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You

It's hard to put into words how bittersweet the end of the school year is. It has truly been an honor to teach this group of fourth grad...